Work from home jobs are a great way to earn money from home but they do usually require a commitment to a minimum number of hours per week. For those that just need a side gig to earn extra cash in your free time then here are my top side hustle ideas. Not all of them are from home but all of them are things anyone can do whether you are a stay at home mom or a full time working mom.
- Use money making apps like Ibotta, Field Agent, Easy Shift, Screen Pay, GigWalk, and Shopkick. Some of these apps earn you money when you are out shopping and some of them work by showing you tasks nearby that pay cash if completed.
- Sign up with these mystery shopping companies to earn money while running errands, grocery shopping, and eating at restaurants. Mystery shopping is a legitimate way to earn money by giving feedback on your customer experience at locations near you. Pay varies per company.
- Shop through Ebates and earn cash back. With the wide variety of stores available on the Ebates website, almost anyplace I want to shop online is available. Why not earn cash back for purchases you are making anyways? Plus they usually offer a $5-$10 bonus for signing up.
- Become a website tester and earn extra money giving your feedback on websites. Anyone can sign up to be a website tester. They are looking for feedback from regular web users like you. Pay ranges between $8-$12 per session with the sessions taking around 15-20 minutes.
- Caption videos for Rev. Earn $0.50-$0.75 per video minute, paid weekly via Paypal for those that need money fast. You can choose which projects you want to work on and can work as much or as little as you want. Sign up here.
- Sign up to earn money with these short task sites. Tasks listed on these types of websites like Amazon MTurk can be done in your free time and you can work as much or as little as you want to earn extra money. Pay varies based on the difficulty of each task. Many of these companies pay weekly.
- Start a blog. There are many different ways you can earn money through blogging. Ad sales, affiliates sales, and sponsored posts are a few. It takes time to build an audience but can be well worth the work put into it. Follow my Blogging for Money series to find out more.
- Work for Knurture. The company is known for developing digital products and they hire “expert Googlers”. Complete their challenge to see if you qualify.
- Earn money posting on forums through Postloop. Participate on the designated forums and earn money for your time.
- Become a Namer for Naming Force. Naming Force offers a way for users to earn money by submitting business name suggestions to contests being held by business owners. If this is something you are good at and your name gets picked you can win anywhere between $100-$500 depending on the contest.
- Make money with Fiverr. This website gives users a way to sign up and offer services they are willing to do for $5. Sign up for free and list your services you want to sell. This could be anything from writing, graphic design, transcription to really unique tasks you are willing to complete.
- ChatAbout is a social media type site that pays you to participate in discussions on certain topics. Leaving comments on a discussion, replying to comments on a discussion, or asking questions earns points that can later be cashed out.
- Become a Mail Decoy Agent for Hausernet or US Monitor. Being a mail decoy agent means receiving mail under a decoy name and logging it into their system every day. Advertisers pay for this service to find out the condition of their mail when it arrives and the date of arrival. Pay is on a per piece basis.
- Elance and Upwork are both freelancing sites where you can view thousands of freelancing gigs that span across a wide variety of job types. It can take a while to build up a good enough reputation on these sites to make a higher income but once established they can be a great source of income for freelancers.
- Survey Sites can be hit and miss as far as whether they are worth the time. Also,many of them do not earn you cash but instead enter you into a drawing for cash or prizes. The only sites I usually recommend are American Consumer Opinion, Epoll, Global Test Market, Inbox Dollars, Ipsos, Pro-Opinion and PineCone Research.
- Nielsen Mobile Panel is run by the same company known for the Nielsen TV ratings. The Mobile Panel is designed to help the mobile industry understand how consumers use their mobile devices, services and content. The panel gathers information through an app that runs in the background of your phone. It allows the company to measure how you use the phone, including your usage of websites, applications, calling, messaging and other phone utilities. They do not listen to communications. Users will receive up to $50 per year in rewards points that can be redeemed in their online shop for gift cards.
- Google Screenwise Panel gathers information from you by having you install a browser extension on your computer or tablet. Google will use this to learn about the sites you visit, the apps you use, and some basic information about how you use them. Earn rewards to be redeemed for a wide variety of gift cards.
- Freelance writing is a great way to earn extra cash. Because it is something you can do as little or as much as you want, it can be a great side gig or a full time job. For those that have no previous writing experience websites like Textbroker, Writers Domain, or HireWriters are a great place to start. Once you have more experience check out our larger list here.
- Swagbucks is a popular online site that offers a variety of ways to earn cash. Get paid to take surveys, watch videos, search the web, and more.
- Get rid of annoying junk mail and earn money with SBK Center. They are a market research center that will provide you with self-addressed, stamped envelopes to send them all of your junk. You receive points for each piece of mail, which can then be redeemed for prepaid Visa cards.
- Become a reviewer for Humantic. Reviewers review calls to various agencies and categorizes them. Each call takes around 30 seconds. Each reviewed call makes between 1.6 and 3 cents.
- Focus Groups are a type of market research where people are gathered to ask them their feedback on a certain product or company. Search online for focus groups or market research groups in your city. Sign up with each company and they will call you when they have a focus group you may qualify for. Most focus groups last around an hour and pay between $100-$150.
- Get paid to review music with SlicethePie
- Tutor online. There are a wide variety of companies that hire online tutors. Some positions prefer teaching experience while others do not. You can set your own availability and do it as much or as little as you would like. There are even companies that need tutors for specific hobbies.
- Make money with your car using sites like Free Car Media and Driven Media. These companies match your with an advertiser who wraps your car in vinyl decal advertisements. The pay is usually around $400 a month.
- Become a Tasker for TaskRabbit. TaskRabbit is a site where users outsource tasks or errands they need completed. These could be anything from from handyman, house cleaning, shopping or delivery tasks. Payment is made very quickly after completion.
- Drive for Uber or Lyft and make between $20-$40 to an hour. If you haven’t heard of these companies they match drivers with passengers who request rides through their smartphone app, and passengers pay automatically through the app. You drive your own car in your free time, as much as you want, when you want.
- Sell on sites like Ebay, Etsy, Amazon, Bookscouter, Craigslist, TuneCycle or at consignment shops near you.
- Write poems or writings appropriate for greeting cards and get paid between $50-$300 per accepted submission with Blue Mountain Arts.
- Data Entry can be done as a side job as well. Companies like Virtual Bee, DionData and Axion pay for data entry services from home. You can also transcribe audio for companies like Tigerfish, Speakwrite, and Quicktate that require no previous transcription experience.
- Answer questions for KGB or ChaCha. These companies hire agents to work from home answering questions submitted by users. It is not something that will make a decent income but can be something fun to do to earn extra cash while you are sitting in front of the tv.
- Seasonal Virtual Call Center Jobs offer another way to temporarily earn extra cash. Most virtual call centers that hire year round require a commitment to a certain number of hours per week but many of them also hire for short term seasonal positions around the holidays for those that need extra cash. Check with Sitel, Amazon, Groupon, Sykes and Sutherland
- Grade essays online for standardized tests that require some kind of written or essay portion. These positions work from home and are seasonal positions usually working in the spring. Some require teaching degrees or experience. Visit Pearson or ETS for more information.
*This post contains affiliate links
Join the Telecommuting Moms newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.