Enjoy teaching others but want to work from home? There is an abundance of ways you can work at home as an online tutor. If teaching is not for you, find other ways to work from home on the work at home companies page.
Retired teachers, active teachers with the need for a second income, or anyone with a passion and knowledge for a specific subject can work at home as an online tutor.
What do online tutors do?
Online tutors operate just like regular tutors that you would hire locally. They help students study or improve in a certain subject. The only difference is that online tutors can be located anywhere in the world and interact with their students online in some manner.
Tutors usually work one-on-one with students in whatever area of study that the student needs assistance. There are also many online teaching positions but these positions are usually different in that a teacher offers instruction to a group of students online.
Some online tutors use a basic computer tool such as Skype to see their student while tutoring. Other online tutors use tools designed specifically for this purpose to interact in a variety of ways.
What are the requirements to work at home as an online tutor?
Online tutors can operate a number of different ways. They may choose to start their own business and advertise through their own website. If this is the case, they may decide to tutor in subjects they are knowledgeable and passionate about but may not necessarily have any formal education in.
Most online tutors however, choose to operate through one of the many companies that hire tutors to work from home. Each of these companies hold different requirements in order to be hired. Many of them require a four year college degree while others only hire those with a teaching degree. All of the online tutoring companies require you to have your own computer and high speed internet.
What can I expect when I work from home as an online tutor?
Most of the companies that hire you to work from home as an online tutor bring you on as a freelancer, not an employee. This means that you will report your own company just as if you were self-employed.
Once hired, you would specify the hours you are available for tutoring each week. Some of the companies use your availability and expertise to match you with students and assign you to who you will be tutoring.
Other companies simply list you and your expertise in their database of tutors allowing students that come to the website needing a tutor to choose for themselves who they will work with. Pay varies greatly based on your knowledge and expertise. Elementary level subjects obviously will not pay as well as college level subjects.
Would this be a good fit for me?
If you have previous experience teaching or tutoring and have a passion for it then this would be a great work at home job for you. Most of these types of companies allow you to make your own hours or take on clients that fit your availability so this can be a great fit for those that need a flexible schedule. Because you are usually interacting with students live you should be able to have a somewhat quiet work background while working.
What companies hire online tutors?
- Aim4A– Hires part-time and full-time tutors. Tutoring is provided using audio and data conferencing. Tutors must have a computer, high speed internet, computer speakers and microphone, and Skype. A bachelor’s degree is required along with some teaching experience.
- Work at Home Tutoring Online For Brainfuse- Bachelor’s degree and background check required along with a computer and high speed internet.
- Eduwizards– Must have a bachelor’s degree, a computer, high speed internet, and a headset with microphone.
- Ehomeworkhelp- This company has very little information online as far as what they are looking for in your educational background and experience.
- Expert Tutors(Canada)-Need Canadian based teaching experience. This company does in-person tutoring as well as Skype sessions.
- Growing Stars-No info on past educational background or experience needed. Must have your own computer, high speed internet, and Skype.
- Homework Help-Must have a bachelor’s degree, a computer, high speed internet, and a headset with microphone.
- Limu-This company is a great option for those who do not have a bachelor’s degree. You can teach any subject or skill you consider yourself an expert in. This could be something even hobby related. You decide your own pay rate and the company keeps a percentage of that amount.
- Parliament Tutors– Must have a bachelor’s degree or previous teaching experience. Offers tutoring from elementary through college as well as test prep.
- Revolution Prep -Bachelor’s degree and previous teaching experience needed. Computer, high speed internet, speakers, microphone, and webcam required.
- Tutor.com -Must pass background check and a subject test for the subject that you want to teach. A good one for those without previous teaching experience to get started.
- Tutor Hunt -This site works a little different. Anyone can register to be a tutor. Once your profile is posted then those looking for a tutor in the subject you are tutoring can contact you. Users can also post tutor job postings listing exactly what they need and tutors can respond to these job postings.
- Wyzant -This website is similar to Tutor Hunt in that you can register, set your own rate, and list your subject expertise. Users can choose you based on your profile or you can search for students to work with through the website.
Grab Your Free Copy of my Ebook
“Top 7 Legitimate Work from Home Jobs”
as a thank you for subscribing to the Telecommuting Moms newsletter.